Sunday, September 07, 2008

Michael!

My friend Amy wears a perfume that all of her friends love. It's called Michael and if you've spent much time around Amy, you will associate that perfume with her. She says she wears it because it covers the smell of the kitchen in which she spends all day working as a pastry chef, but whatever the reason, she just smells SO good.

This weekend, Steve and I went into Nordstrom with a $125 store credit burning a hole in our pocket. Steve (who is pretty much every woman's ideal mate) insisted that I find something to spend the store credit on. As we walked into the store, I saw a really nice men's shirt with a Michael Kors tag in the collar. "I know who Michael Kors is!" I said. "He makes the perfume that Amy wears that smells SOOO good!" Intrigued, Steve steered me to the perfume department so he could get a whiff of this elixir. The sales lady sprayed a little on the crease of my elbow and made up a small sample, encouraging me to wear it for a few hours to see how it reacted with my body chemistry. She also gave me a sample of a similar scent by Marc Jacobs. We left Nordstrom empty handed, and moved on to shop at a couple of other stores.

As we browsed the racks of The Gap, I remarked to Steve that I felt strange wearing Amy's signature scent. "I smell great and I love it, but I keep expecting to turn around and see Amy standing next to me!" Steve assured me that I smelled wonderful, and that surely Amy hadn't spent hours laboring over this particular perfume and that if I bought it and wore it, it couldn't be THAT big of a deal. "You don't understand." I protested., "If I bought this, everyone would say I was wearing Amy's perfume." In the end, we spent the Nordstrom credit on a pair of shoes to match an outfit I put together from the Gap and Banana Republic.

A couple hours later we got home and I opened the door to the office to say hi to the kids who were playing in there on their computers. "Weston" I said, 'do you like my perfume?" Offering an arm for him to smell. "Yeah. You smell like Amy." "See???" I shrieked at Steve. Then I marched over to Garrett. Again offering my arm, I asked, "Do you like my perfume?" Garrett sniffed. "Does it remind you of anyone?" Garrett answered, "It smells like Bailey!" Bailey is Amy's daughter. Clearly, Michael is spoken for. I think I'll go with the Marc Jacobs.

5 comments:

Meredith said...

You SO can't buy Amy's perfume, it's Amy's. But man I'd love to smell like her all day! Hell, I'd like to smell like her, look like her, workout like her........hum, I guess according to the girl code, I pretty much have to hate her guts now!?!? That Amy, she's a bitch...

I For One..... said...

I am contemplating an evil plot to get her to adopt a different scent. I allowed her to smell the Marc Jacobs I was wearing yesterday and expounded on it's many virtues. Fresh. Clean. Modern. Hip!

Steve said...

Amazing! If guys were much into wearing fragrances they'd form fragrance "teams" and gladly wear the same brand. Doing otherwise would be seen as being a non-team player, as in something Kobe would do. The true studs would wear whatever someone like Brett Favre wears.

Meredith said...

I'd like to wear Brett Favre.........oh I mean what Brett Favre is wearing!

Steve said...

My point exactly.