Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I Can't Stay Quiet About Palin Any Longer

I have never intended this blog to be a forum for political discussion, but I think it’s time for me to break away from my typical topics. The blind support I have seen forthe McCain/Palin ticket which seems to stem mostly from the fact that the Vice Presidential candidate is in possession of a pair of ovaries has driven me to comment. I, like most women would be thrilled to have a female hold the highest elected office in our country. But can’t people see that by supporting the wrong woman, just because she is a woman, could set our cause back years, even decades? I don’t dislike Sarah Palin as a candidate because she is a Republican. In fact, I have always felt that if Barack Obama was not elected President I could actually be pretty comfortable with McCain. That is until he chose Palin as his running mate. I could support a woman if she were more like Condoleezza Rice and less like the lovechild of Martha Stewart and the Terminator. Following are several reasons why Sarah Palin scares me. Please note that much of the following is quoted directly from On The Issues. On The Issues is a website which provides a detailed history of each candidate's voting record as well as their public stances on issues. It can be accessed at http://www.issues2000.org/default.htm

Sarah Palin On Abortion:

During the Alaska Governors debate in 2006 candidates were asked what they would do if their own daughters were raped and became pregnant.

Palin said she would support abortion only if the mother's life was in danger. When it came to her daughter, she said, "I would choose life."

Sarah Palin On Equal Rights for Same Sex Couples:

Ms. Palin said she supported Alaska's decision to amend its Constitution to ban same-sex marriage. But she used her first veto as governor to block a bill that would have prohibited the state from granting health benefits to same-sex partners of public employees. Ms. Palin said she vetoed the bill because it was unconstitutional, but raised the possibility of amending the state Constitution so the ban could pass muster.

Elected officials can't defy the court when it comes to how rights are applied, she said, but she would support a ballot question that would deny benefits to homosexual couples. "I believe that honoring the family structure is that important," Palin said. She said she doesn't know if people choose to be gay.

On Education:

Earlier this year, she told the Anchorage Daily News that schools should not fear teaching creationism alongside evolution. "Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information.... Healthy debate is so important and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both. And you know, I say this too as a daughter of a science teacher."

On The Environment:

Governor Sarah Palin announced today the State of Alaska has filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia seeking to overturn Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne's decision to list the polar bear as threatened under the Endangered Species Act.

This action follows written notice given more than 60 days ago, asking that the regulation listing the polar bear as threatened be withdrawn. "We believe that the Service's decision to list the polar bear was not based on the best scientific and commercial data available," Governor Palin said.

The Service's analysis failed to adequately consider the polar bears' survival through prior warming periods, and its findings that the polar bear is threatened by sea-ice habitat loss are not warranted. The Service also failed to adequately consider the existing regulatory mechanisms which have resulted in a sustainable worldwide polar bear population that has more than doubled in number over the last 40 years to 20,000-25,000 bears.

Palin On Stem Cell Research:

Palin told ABC’s Charles Gibson that “we should not create human life, create an embryo and then destroy it for research, if there are other options out there.”

But now the McCain/Palin campaign now has a radio spot that enthusiastically supports stem cell research.

To see a full accounting of Sarah Palin’s voting record please take the time to visit http://www.issues2000.org/Sarah_Palin.htm and decide for yourself. Then vote. Conversely, if you aren't going to take the time to get educated on where this woman stands stay home on November 4th. Many of these issues pertain directly to you, as a woman, a mother, a daughter, and a citizen of this country. Please don't just vote your emotions, take time to figure out if, woman or not, she is qualified to represent all of us, and to lead this country in the event that McCain cannot. To paraphrase the candidates' favorite quote, just because it wears lipstick doesn't mean it isn't a pig.

14 comments:

Meredith said...

No BAMA for this Mama~

I For One..... said...

I know you've done your research, and I respect that. It's the women that support her just because she's a woman that make me bat shit.

Julia said...

I am sad to say I have relatives that are thrilled with Palin and jumped enthusiasically onto the band wagon with her appointment. Several of these relatives are bible quoting religious folk. So to this mindset she is fabulous. I just get creepy chills at the thought of her in power.

I For One..... said...

Yeah, she creeps me out too. Too much of a gun-toting, bible-thumping, gay-hating, creationist for me to get behind. She just reeks of the kind of ignorance that has gotten this country where it is right now. Your average citizen knows more about who is on American Idol than the candidates that are running for President. They've locked on to her physical appearance, her youth, and her family values and can't seem to see that this approach to running our country has left most of us much worse off economically than we were 8 years ago. I want off this ride!

Meredith said...

I can't get behind Palin, but I am voting for McCain for Pres. and in this state and this area, it doesnt count for shit. There is no reason to get all worked up because of the electoral college. I don't count for shit, so please don't think that if John McCain gets elected I had anything to do with it!

I For One..... said...

How much does it concern you that McCain is no healthy spring chicken and that if he becomes disabled or dies during his term, Palin will be leading our country? Like I said, I think McCain is well-qualified for the office and with another running mate I could shrug my shoulders and live with him as President. It's the thought that Palin with little experience would be dealing with foreign policy, economy, health care, etc. She's is totally untested and that is NOT what this poor floundering country needs right now.

Steve said...

Meredith, you still gotta get out there and vote. It really does matter, even if Palin just canceled her two-day fundraising trip to CA in what can only be interpreted as the GOP throwing in the towel in our state. Maybe they shouldn't, however, and instead play a little Barack, Paper, Scissors to see who is really going to win.

I For One..... said...

Hah! Love Barack Paper Scissors. Only problem was George Bush won! He kept throwing rocks at my scissors. Wiley SOB.

Steve said...

I think Dubya only throws rocks. I kept papering the b*stard and beat him handily. Then I beat Ahmadinejad, followed by Hillary (Bill's comments during that match were classic - "Close Obama, but no cigar.") before The Governator took me down.

I For One..... said...

Busy day at work, eh Steve-o?

Meredith said...

So the way I see it is I vote for McCain for pres is just that a vote for him. I would rather take my chances that a guy that spent how many years in a pow camp can endure four years in this country's highest office.
If NoBama wins then HE'S definitely Pres. If McCain wins Palin most likely won't be president. I like those chances a lot more!
I LIKE to keep the money I earn. Pablo doesn't need my money, my family does! GO Mav~

I For One..... said...

Meredith, there comes a point in a political debate between friends who support opposing sides at which you have to respectfully agree to disagree. I think this is it.

Unknown said...

Whoa! Just when I thought it was safe to discuss sex, religion and politics along comes M. No friendly discussion there. It's my way or the highway. My party right or wrong and damn the consequences.

Steve said...

"And in this corner ... weighing it at a svelte one-hundred and [static-on-the-line] pounds, hailing from the metropolition city of San Jose..." :-)