Friday, August 01, 2008

I'm Doomed

Steve has been talking about getting a motorcycle for a while now. I may get this wrong, but I think he wants the BMW 1200GS. Like my deciding I wanted the Volvo XC90, this isn't going to go away. I can tell. Steve visits his bike online often, and has taken a trip to the dealership to sit on it. He has signed up for a motorcycle safety class, and will no-doubt be taking the DMV test to get the proper license shortly. Last night only made it worse. Steve stumbled across a one-night-only viewing of a movie called The Long Way Down, a documentary about a motorcycle trip in which Ewan McGregor (of Obi-Wan fame) and his friend Charley Boorman travel 15,000 (!!!) miles from Scotland to Cape Town. We sat with a moderate-sized crowd of people (most who had arrived there by motorcycle, judging by their carrying helmets) for two hours watching Ewan and Charley battle heavy rain, extreme heat, motorcycle-eating mud, attacks by everything from ants to elephants, and upending in multiple heavy spills from their BMW bikes. I thought it was great to watch, but Steve? Steve leaned into every curve in the road with a blissful smile playing across his face. He glanced out of the corner of his eye for my reaction when Ewan's wife joined them on her bike for a portion of the trip, and left the theater all but crouched into riding position. So I am doomed to being the bitch of a bike dude. I have accepted my fate.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Like the Princess Leia video stored in R2-D2: "Help us Obi-Wan. You're our only hope." Except in this case Obi-Wan is the source of the problem. :-)

The 1200GS is a brute of a bike, probably more bike than I would need. Despite you calling it a women's bike because Ewan's wife Eve was riding it, I think I would be quite happy with the 650GS - in Iceberg Silver Metallic please.